How to solve problem of monkeys in Areca Nut fields

That’s why I suggested Electric Fences, which contain milder current thqn the normal ones just so that they hurt the monkey’s a little and not cause death or severe injuries and thereby also preventing them from entering the fields. I don’t if this is probable, but I think it can be made possible after improvising

@Adhithya_Viswanathan

Our farm already has electric fence. Monkeys jump from one to another and able to climb down to land. Electric fences no use.

I see, okay :+1:, will get back to you if I have any other ideas

@baiju

Thanks for the suggestion. For information,

We are located in malenadu where you will get fruits or seeds bearing trees most of the year.

But monkeys(rehaus maques) these monkeys spoil alot compared to eat. Farming background people can understand this pain better.

Yes fruit bearing trees are longterm solutions. Till that how livelihood in this region will sustain?

For farmers his crops are the sole income( for his food, shelter and childerns education).

Spice powders - how economic it is? In farming people are already facing labor issues. Also practically, If rain comes it will wash away. (Ex. In cofee plant how you spray? Cofee bunches form.

In this region farmers tried their level best to protect their crops. But rehaeus maques are not easy to control in the farm land.

@gautamp

So far no compensation for the crop loss due to monkey attacks.

Practically how farmers apply for their crop loss?

In each visit there is a crop loss. Such as banana, cardomom, cofee, fruit trees, vegetables.

How to document these losses or damages to the crops and apply for compensation.

In my farm, last week, monkeys spoiled around 5 nos of 5 month old cardmom plants, cofee, banana plants - 8 no’s, spoiled lot of sapota fruits.

How to document these losses and apply for compensation? What amount we receive as a compensation? This amount is equivalent to farmer all the year effort and investments?

Documentation of such repeated crop losses is dificult.

@Amithu please comment on this solution.

I think it is also Important to note the height of these trees, they can be as high as an average telecom towers

@Manju We have got 2 more responses from citizens through WhatsApp Bot,

1. In the hills, people train a family of Kala Bandars to scare off Monkeys. The feed and take care of Kala Bandar families like pets. This is a suitable way to ward of Monkeys as opposed to dogs.
    In the Animal world monkeys are scared of black faced Langoor, and Langoors are scared of Gorillas. Simple logic.

Pair this with strategic placement of Animal noise makers, but research must be done to test which noises actually scare off Monkeys.

Triangulation of solutions is important as a single solution is something Monkeys will adapt to. Over a period of time monkeys will learn it’s just a noise maker but no animals are around.

Pairing trained lAngoor family with speakers will amplify the appearance of a larger pack of Langoors (family of 5) which will be enough to scare away a group of 25-30 monkeys

1. This is a lead to another organization
    (Animal Tracking and GPS System l Solar Powered Repeller) , who are based of Bangalore are been working in building tech to solve Man-Animal conflict[link]

I have requested for more details for the above link.

@baiju

Thank you. Yes similer to langoors, vultures are natural population controllers of these Rhesus macaque. But there is no vultures now.

Agriculture sustainability in areca farms

Monkeys (Rehsus Macaque) tend to settle in and around human settlements regardless of resources availability in the forests. It’s one of their survival strategy. Planting fruit bearing trees/plants in the forest may seems like a solution from the conservation point of view, but in reality it’s hard to implement and not very sure that would solve the crop ride / manace by big margin.

Monkeys are clever animals, they adapt or learn to avoid anything that meant to scare them away. So anything that just makes sound or mimics natural predator would work temporarily, not a long term solution.

1 Like