Field Diaries: from DAV GIrls Gopalapuram, Chennai

Reflecting on “Design on Paper” Week at problem solving hubs of Solve Ninjas at DAV schools

prototyping of design for sustainable behavior change solutions through waste segregation at source experience facilitated by mentor Tina

1. Highlight of my week was the design session for class 7E and 7B of girls gopalapuram. During the design on paper session, i asked the girls to draw a dustbin on the paper provided to them explaining the problem statement. I got a wonderful opportunity to witness their creative side blossom. I took the designs with me and gave them challenges. When I went to class today, i was surprised with prototypes of their designs that I never asked for. Regardless, i was overjoyed! Impact: This indicates that the students are taking RB classes seriously to become problem solvers and out of their own interest, not by force.

1. Tried a new method that worked really well. The main issue, predominantly in Boys Gopalapuram is that the students do not sit in their respective seats and loiter around. This leads to wastage of time - i used to lose around 15 minutes of every class due to this very reason. My solution? If one needs to stand up, he/she has to raise their hand and ask me permission to stand/talk or i ask them to stand next to the door (I make sure i sent them back in 3-4 min). Also, reducing group points on the board each time someone stands up without permission or talks also helps a tonne!
    Result: Now I’m able to sit them down within 5 minutes that gives me sufficient time to have better discussions in class.

1. Waste timeline activity. As instructed by the plan, i did the waste timeline activity. However, the students found it boring and asked if we could play something else. So i came up with a better plan. To write the list of items on the board as well as the timeline. Haven’t tried it yet, let’s see if it succeeds.

Pictures show the various design for change iterations of dustbins rapidly created with minimal materials usage.

4000+ solve ninjas are engaged in civic and climate problem solving through local solutions, nudge campaigns and local data at the problem solving hubs.

Pictures and copy credits to Mentor Tina, stationed in Chennai (2022)